Posted on January 25, 2016
Comments Off on Emergency travel documents ( ETD) and passports
The British Embassy in Bangkok currently issues a high volume of Emergency travel documents ( ETD) mostly due to lost and stolen passports.
On average post in Bangkok issue 55 ETD per month and the current YTD total issued is 617 (Jan – December ).
We have therefore put together a small campaign aimed at travellers with regard to looking after their passports and informing them of the cost and inconvenience if they do loose a passport.
The key messages of the campaign are ;
- Your passport’s not always safer on you
- If your passport is stolen, lost or damaged abroad you will lose precious time out of your holiday and replacement documents could cost you over £200. Value your passport and look after it carefully, and take out comprehensive travel insurance.
- If you lose your passport on holiday you will not be able to get a replacement. Instead you will have to get an ETD and then replace your passport once back in the UK.
- lock it in a safe if you have access to one
- make two photocopies of your passport – leave one at home and take the second with you at all times
- Make sure your passport is valid – for Th